Sunday, October 7, 2012

Barry Adamson Song Critique


Released on Central Control, Barry Adamson’s “Dissemble” from the 2006 recorded album “Stranger on the Sofa” was engineered & produced by Adamson himself.  Murky World 2 in London United Kingdom has been a home to many of Adamson’s works.  “Dissemble” features a variety of instrumentation ranging from violin to saxophone.  More specifically listing the instruments featured are; synthesizers, bass, drums, violin, guitar, cello, female back-up vocals, more guitar, more bass, & a saxophone which Adamson is more commonly known for.
Barry Adamson
There is a second bass riff that comes in that is a pentatonic scale that I believe is being plucked in a slap technique, I find it snappy, thick, & immediate…it also would seem to be a little bit heavy on the right channel in the mix.
These drums are some of my favorite style in terms of the recording.  The way I’ve come to describe it in one word is “garage”.  As the process to get them sounds this way might not be so simple, the result is a simple, open, live feeling which reminds me of just some dude playing drums in a garage or the corner of an intersection in downtown where the concrete is carrying the pop.
For me not being a musician I find it difficult to discuss technically what exactly is going on in time with music.  I tend to use my emotions when deciphering what the musician is communicating.  The sax while I know it’s made of brass, things that come to mind are chaos, disarray, and erotica.  Attempting to describe it’s tonal qualities, I would say each note has a short life, mid-high to high pitch, minimal reverb, and brilliant.
            In general the industrial jazz vibe, is what pulls me in.  I find it to be dark, mysterious, gripping, and climactic.  I feel that it’s a fairly clean recording, a little bit egotistical, mainly because the sax is mixed the best and this is Adamson’s turf.  I haven’t noticed anything new about the song as I’ve listened to it very carefully dozens of times for editing purposes.  I frankly am a little bored with it at this point, I can enjoy it about once every two months.  It’s a really fun song during a road trip or in the middle of foreplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment